Friday, February 13, 2009

Is There a Doctor In The House?

Stuffy noses, sore throats, ear aches and tummy aches. Skinned knees, pinched fingers, and splinters. Sunburns, rashes, mosquito bites, and bee stings. Broken arms, broken friendships, and broken hearts that need mending.

Whether it is physical or emotional, often time our kids are in need of Dr. Mom.

As moms, we know our kids. We know their health, we know their pain tolerance, we know their attitudes, and we know their emotions. Because of the intimate nature of the relationship we have with our children, we can sense their needs better, I would say, than anyone else.

I can look at one of my daughters and know that in the next half an hour she will be in the throws of a migraine. Her demeanor, posture, and energy level that I know so well change just enough to signal to me that the headache is about to hit. I can tell by a certain glassy look in another daughter’s eyes that she probably has a case of strep throat. Still the third, I can see in the color of her cheeks and the change in her attitude that she will soon be suffering from a sinus headache. I can hear in each one of their voices when something is not right with a teacher, a best friend, or a boyfriend. I know my children.

I take my children to the doctor for regular check-ups and when they are sick. I firmly believe in the healthcare system and the benefits of seeing the doctor regularly. I believe in responsible vaccination, responsible use of antibiotics, and a proactive approach to staying healthy. God bless the amazing and wonderful doctors that we have available to us in this country. But, as wonderful as the system and these doctors are, they do not have the bond and knowledge of my child that I do. And, they do not have the remedy for every ailment.

Sometimes, the best doctor is Dr. Mom. We have that special remedy that can heal the things that the medicine the doctor prescribes can’t. We know the secrets passed down to us by our moms - the secrets that heal, make whole and comfort our little ones. We now how to prescribe the mom hugs, mom kisses, and mom comfort that help our children get better. We know the right things to say to distract from the pain, ease the fear, and mend the emotions.

Dr. Medicine, thank you for all you do to heal our children’s bodies. But only Dr. Mom has the special cure to heal their hearts.

Moms, be proud to wear your doctors hat (or coat) today. You are the only person in the world who has earned the PhD of your children.


*Image courtesy of google/ pro.corbis.com

1 comment:

  1. Well said. Responsible and pro-active. And moms definitely know their children better than any outsider can. And if you are not satisfied with advice from an outside source, get another opinion. Because mom knows best.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to leave your thoughts on this post!