Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Cookies

I spent the better part of the last two days making batter and dough for a barrage of Christmas cookies and confections.

By the time the cookies were made, my kitchen looked like a winter wonderland, covered in white - wintry and powdery. Trees, snowmen, snowflakes and fluffy pillowy mounds as far as the eye could see, covered our domestic landscape. Unfortunately, 'twas not snow nor the things that holiday songs sing of, but alas a messy, sticky mixture of flour, powdered sugar, baking soda and baking powder - and dozens and dozens of sweet snacks.

The two day long process of preparation for this baking blitz dragged on and on. One mundane baking task after another slowed the flow of the weekend down to the speed of molasses. Mixing, folding, stirring, sifting; whisking, washing, wiping, sweeping - one job after another until finally it was baking time.

With the help of my daughters, we carefully chose the best cookie cutters to use that would flatter our cookie platters. Frenzied flouring of cutting boards and rolling pins made way to carefully planned out arrangements of the cookie cutters. Onto the pans, into the oven, and up on the cooling racks went our cookies. In what seemed like a few moments, we had used all of our dough, and the baking was complete.

In all, the baking took my girls and me about 2 1/2 hours to complete. But because I was in the company of my precious daughters, I lost track of the time. What would have seemed like an eternity in the kitchen had I been by myself, passed by in the blink of an eye. I was lost in the enjoyment of seeing their creativity, cooperation and Christmas spirit.

Each year this tradition in the kitchen with my daughters passes by so soon. But the memories will live on forever, of my girls and me, baking Christmas Cookies.

3 comments:

  1. That is so very sweet! I am baking with my daughters this week, and although they are young and their attention-span isn't too long, at least they try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could muster the desire and skill to bake holiday cookies. Instead, I wait patiently for my neighbors and friends to bring me goodie baskets of their fine creations. I'm always so amazed at what they come up with and you're look equally as yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Michelle. We didn't do a whole lot of baking while I was growing up. I kind of developed a love of it as an adult. It's become a holiday tradition in our house!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to leave your thoughts on this post!