Friday, May 15, 2009

What a Man...What a Mighty Fine Man!

To all my loyal readers, you have probably read about my husband, Mr. Mom of Many Hats.

We have been married for over 17 years now. For the most part, we work very well together. We share similar goals, ideals, values, and outlooks on life. We have done a pretty good job of melding our parenting styles to create a united front and a cohesive plan to raising our children. We have some common interests that we are able so share - hockey, running, healthy lifestyle, among other things. We also have plenty of differences that we both respect and know are essential to our growth not only as individuals, but also as a couple. I think overall, we get a lot of things right.

But like most couples, we have struggled with the whole male/female communication thing. If you read my post Pass the Cheese Please! you probably know about one of our communication breakdowns early in our marriage. Now I must admit that I did not do a wonderful job of communicating a response back to him (my dad made the comment that he knew Mr. Mom of Many Hats was in trouble by the look on my face and the tone in my voice.) And yes.... I did milk it for all I could.

After I posted Pass the Cheese Please! Mr. Mom of Many Hats posted a response that reinforced the reason that I love him so much. Please read Mr. Mom of Many Hats words.....

To my bride: Well written! You have a real talent for relating your experience and perspectives. I'm proud of you.

To everyone else who reads this: I did err when I exclaimed, out loud, my shock at the strange ingredient in the lasagne. It was not fair to my bride. New husbands take note - appreciate the effort even if the results may not be what you expected. While I have since said many stupid things over the last 17 years, I have not repeated that mistake. I must say, though, that I watched my grandmother and my father make lasagne many times and ne'er a cottage cheese container even entered the kitchen! As a matter of fact, if my grandmother had made it that way and I saw cottage cheese go in there, I would not have eaten hers either. I just don't like the stuff. And no, I haven't been spelling lasagne wrong. Check the dictionary, it can end in an 'e' or an 'a'. Just like I suppose it can be made with more than one kind of cheese. I only eat lasagne spelled with an 'e' at the end. I don't like the kind with the 'a' at the end either....

Ti amo!!

I love reading these words. They are witty, honest, and explain his standpoint. In his response, he not only acknowledges where he erred, but he also (rightfully so) defended his viewpoint. He offered sage advice to new husbands and proclaimed his pride in me.

My response back to him is.... What a man....what a mighty fine man!

Do you have a mighty fine man too? Or for that matter, a mighty fine woman? Leave a response and share your story with all of AZ Mom of Many Hat's readers!

4 comments:

  1. I chose so well for you! You do have a mighty fine man, so do I. When I was first diagnosed with my illness, and so worried about money, insurance, surviving...Dad told me, "Honey, there is nothing on this earth that Harry does better than taking care of you. Just let him." That sums it up. He is amazing too.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have a mighty fine man! You are so blessed. So does Amy is a survivor and so does your other sister. I do too...I have a wonderful husband who is a mighty fine man that makes comments that his mighty fine daughters remember and quote from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! There's nothing better than a good man, and what beautiful words he said. And I also agree that lasagne is better than lasagna. Your new layout looks good and loads faster too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the "lasagne" story! You two really have it together! How blessed you are to have that level of mutual respect and admiration for each other.
    Well written!
    Btw, my mom always made lasagne with cottage cheese!! lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to leave your thoughts on this post!